The Art of Boredom

Ari - Salem, Oregon

The Art of Boredom

Boredom can strike even the most active of us. I, myself, got bored not too long ago. I sat in English, and tried to think of topics to write this essay on, and I got kind of bored. Then, one of my dad’s sayings popped into my head: “Only boring people get bored”. I thought about it and decided, that’s not entirely true. If only boring people got bored, the world would be a very dull place. If some of our most creative people didn’t get bored sometime, then where would we get some of our greatest things? For example, the books we read. An author might have gotten bored enough that they started to think, maybe even daydream, and they thought their ideas would make a good book. A world leader like Solomon may get bored with the standards, and look for a way to improve his country. An artist like Walt Disney may get bored with the standards of their works, and create a kingdom of cartoons. I realized sitting in English and daydreaming, I believe that boredom sparks creativity.

In the second grade, I went to the city spelling bee. All the classes in school had a small competition to see who would go from each class. The top two would go to represent their grade for the school. We all had the option to back out; I didn’t because I thought it would keep me from getting bored. I never won a competition in my three year spelling career, but I did get a desire to keep learning vocabulary. I started reading more books, and they gradually got larger and more difficult. I still read at least one book a week. My friends think it unusual if I don’t have a book with me.

After my reading interests grew, I began to get bored again. So, I decided I might try my hand at writing my own stories. I’ve never finished a story; I can’t even finish it before I get another idea. I discovered recently that I’m not so good at ‘putting the words together and them coming out good’ thing. So, I started drawing the characters of my ideas. Now, whenever I get bored, I create a story idea; and instead of writing it, I draw it. I’ve been told that I draw better than I write; so things all work out.

Boredom to me has almost become an art. I can’t just sit and stare at walls; something as imaginative as mutant parakeets, or as ingenious as sliced bread has to be going through my head. Now that I look back, I realize that boredom has helped me evolve into, well, me: an imaginative and creative, nearly eccentric person. Boredom sparks creativity. So, will you grace us with your boredom?