Little Moments

Holly - Fort Wayne, Indiana

I believe in little moments. Little moments with family, friends, and loved ones can have so much meaning. They can bring back wonderful memories of your past, they help you remember how things were, and people that have gone. You do not have to be doing anything special for you to remember them. You don’t even realize how precious someone or something is to you until they’re gone. It’s difficult to deal with a loved one’s death. I know this because I went through the same thing when my grandfather died.

My grandfather died when I was a freshman in High School. I remember it like it was yesterday. It was two days after Christmas and my dad and I just got back from watching a hockey game. I ran inside to tell my mother the good news that our team won, when I found a note on the table that I’ll remember for the rest of my life. It was a note from my mother saying that her father, my beloved grandpa, had died. She said she went to be with her mother. I remember feeling like the life was being sucked out of me. I was the happiest girl in the world when I walked through that door just a second ago, but now it felt like my world was crashing down all around me.

I remember my dad and me hugging each other as we sat at our kitchen table and cried together. It took me a while to dry my eyes and look up at my father. He must have known how I felt because he knows how it feels to lose a loved one. He told me not to dwell on the passing of my grandfather; instead, he told me to remember all the little moments we shared together. At first it was very difficult to think back on all the times we spent together, but the more little moments that I thought about the better I felt.

As all the little moments started to pile up in my head, I remembered an old saying that my grandfather used to say. I started to say it over and over in my head; the more I said it, the more I felt better. I even started to laugh. My dad and I sat at that old kitchen table for hours talking about all the little moments we we’re lucky to have had with grandpa. He had a good life, he loved us all, and we all loved him very much. I believe in little moments; they can add up to a life time of memories, memories that will stay with you for forever.