Beauty is in the Eye, Ear, Nose, and Hand of the Beholder

Juan - Houston, Texas

I believe that beauty is in the eye, ear, nose, and hand of the beholder. Beauty is something that when it is felt with any of the five senses, causes happiness inside of you. How beautiful something is really depends on the person that is judging it. There is no ‘official’ way of judging how beautiful something is. The only way to tell how beautiful something is is by looking at how it makes you feel, and that varies from person to person.

Most people ignore their other senses and only look for beauty with their sight. There is nothing wrong with this, but the problem is that there is a lot of beauty in this world that stays unnoticed because people don’t take the time to use their other senses. Seeing isn’t the only way to find beauty. Just like a rose is beautiful to look at, it is also beautiful to smell and to touch. If people would just trust their other senses, they would find that the world has a lot more beauty than what you can see.

We can all agree on the fact that vision is the most useful sense. It is also the easiest to use when we look for beauty. So why should we care about the other senses? Well, what would we do if we went blind? How would we notice beauty then? Blindness is a reality for many people. Blind people have to go through a regular person’s daily activities, but without being able to see. Just imagine having to go to school or work without being able to see. Seems hard doesn’t it? Well, with all their problems, how do blind people notice beauty? This is one of the lessons that I learned during my day of blindness.

I woke up that morning with a strong desire to stay at home. It was the day of my blindness project, and I did not look forward to being blind from 7:50AM to 3:00PM. The first thing I did when I got to school was to find someone who could take me to my classes. This was not so hard because one of my best friends had the same first two classes that I had. Once the bell rang, it was time to put my blindfold on and become blind. Walking to class was not as hard as I thought it would be. What was hard was controlling my feelings when I walked into the school. One of the first things I noticed was how loud teenagers are. I felt like if I had just walked into a stadium full of people, when in reality, I was in my regular class. At first I felt afraid and nervous because I thought, “With all these people in here, someone has to be talking about me.” After a while, I started to feel more relaxed. I felt comfortable because I could hear people talking and laughing, but never saying bad things about me.

The rest of my day was filled with experiences like these. I also had bad experiences like when somebody tried to trip me, but as the day went on, I felt more comfortable with my lack of vision. Being blind wasn’t as bad as I expected it to be because I was never alone. I always had at least one person helping me out in one way or another. The other experience that stood out happened near the end of the day. After advisory, I was really nervous because I did not know how I was going to get through lunch without being able to see. The dining hall is huge and I thought that I was going to be alone because my friends were going to want to go outside instead of helping me. I was really wrong. Lunch turned out to be the most enjoyable experience of the day. I actually had three of my friends walk me to lunch. They even waited with me in the lines. This made me feel good because it showed me that I was important to them and that our friendship really did matter. What made me feel even better was when they defended me from other people that tried to take advantage of my disability. If someone tried to push me or trip me, they made sure that the other people left me alone. I felt more important than even the president of the United States.

This feeling was momentarily forgotten when we entered the dining hall. I usually don’t care about what I eat during lunch. I just walk in, get my food and leave. This time, it was different. When we approached the dining hall, I was able to smell the food, even from outside of the door. It felt weird because I never notice that scent. Once I walked into the dining hall, the smell got even better. The aroma that came from the back of the dining hall was overwhelming. I imagined walking into a five star restaurant with professional chiefs instead of the school cafeteria. I could smell the food from outside of the door. This was probably the first time that I was actually looking forward to having lunch at school. To my surprise, even the taste of the food was better when I was blind. This simple experience will probably be the most memorable.

Once school ended, I was finally able to take my blindfold off. It felt like walking into a whole new world. I hadn’t seen anything for several hours so being able to see was great. At first, the only thing that I could think about was being able to see. I felt like if I went through the whole day with a part of me missing, but now I was complete. After a few seconds of reflecting, I told myself that I would never again under appreciate being able to see . But even with this new feeling of appreciation, I discovered that being able to see wasn’t as important to me now as I thought it was. Instead of using only my sight, I learned to use my other senses to discover beauty. I didn’t just gain a feeling of appreciation for my sight, but I also learned to appreciate my other senses. If I hadn’t been blind for the day, I probably wouldn’t have noticed those moments of beauty. As to how beautiful those moments were, they were all beautiful to me. From smelling the food, to feeling important, I was able to find beautiful moments throughout the whole day.