Beautiful Beauty

Justin - Houston, Texas

Beautiful Beauty

Beauty is many things. It’s how something is, looks, feels, smells, and many, many other things that I cannot describe. Beauty is everywhere, but in many places hard to find. It’s something that can be created, but is usually found in nature or untouched. Different people think different things are beautiful, meaning beauty is somewhat a thought or opinion. In other words, everything can be beautiful in someone’s eyes. In my opinion, beauty is anything peaceful or calm. Something that makes me relaxed and catches my attention. I think it can be anything special or amazing, too. Sometimes, if you just stop and really look at something, you just might be able to see some beauty you didn’t see before. You can also not look at anything, and feel or hear beauty. My class decided to try this, so everyone put on a blindfold for the whole day.

When I first put on my blindfold, for the first ten seconds, it was fun. I then began to realize that everything would be harder to accomplish. I also realized that I would need help doing many things. Luckily I had good friends to guide and help me throughout my day. When it came time to go to class I held on to my friend’s backpack while he guided me through the hallways and to my class, while making sure I didn’t get hurt. While thinking in class I realized I saw some beauty, even though I couldn’t see. I thought it was beautiful that I received help from my friend because he could have easily told me that he had something else to do, or that he just didn’t want to take me. I also thought it was beautiful how he was so kind and didn’t even pretend to run me into any walls, people, or stairs. During regular days when I’m not blind, I would usually play around with my friends, but that day seemed a little more serious. I’m not exactly sure why none of my friends messed with me, but I think it has to do with the fact that they would have to do the project eventually and they knew I could get them back. So that’s the first instance of beauty I saw that day: the Beauty of Friendship.

Later on in that day, after first period, I had no one to guide me to my second period class. I felt scared, lonely, and deserted. I was surprised find that I didn’t really need help. I mean I did run into a few people, but overall I still found my classroom by myself. I saw beauty in this. I thought it was beautiful that a human could remember and do something while being blind. I have gone through the hallways so many times that I memorized the way, memorized it so well that I could go through the hallways while not being able to see. I didn’t do It all by myself, though. When I got into the classroom one of my classmates helped me to my chair and got my textbooks for me. I thought it was beautiful that someone I didn’t know that well would help me get situated in my class. During that class, when I needed anything, as I would get up and try to get it many people stood up as well and asked me what it was I needed. When I would tell them they would get up and do it right away. These were the second instances of beauty I saw that day: The Beauty of Humans to Memorize Things So Well, and The Beauty of Humans Being So Kind and Helpful.

Third period was easy to get to because the kind people in second period guided me there. After third period, I asked a friend to take me to lunch. He insisted on giving me a piggy-back-ride, so I accepted. While on his back, while not having to worry about walking or bumping into anything, I realized noises I hadn’t heard before. I heard different conversations and noises. I never realized this, besides on that day, that there was a noise the water fountain makes when used. It sounds almost as if a motor of some sort is used to work the machine. I thought this noise sounded beautiful because it was peaceful, calm, and limited. The noise only lasted a few seconds long at a time, so I didn’t get to enjoy it much. When we finally got to the cafeteria my friend ordered for me. He also helped me to my table. My friends helped me eat also, but not because they fed me. They told me which part of my plate contained which food. This was really nice. These were the third instances of beauty that day: The Beauty of Realizing Things/Noises That Weren’t There Before, and The Beauty of Being Able to Do Things While Blind. (Eat!)

Fourth period was fun. I talked to my friends and listened to them play cards. I enjoyed listening, but not seeing them play, because I thought it was interesting to try to match the noises with pictures in my head. I tried to draw a picture of what was going on according to the noises. I conversed with my friends as usually would. It seemed as if they didn’t even notice I couldn’t see. This made me think of beauty because I wasn’t treated any different, although at the time I was really different in that I couldn’t see. I was handicapped that day, yet I was treated normally. I was helped in doing many tasks, and I didn’t get treated worse than usual. This fourth instance of beauty I think was: The Beauty of Being Accepted Even Though You’re Different.

Beauty is wonderful. It is sometimes hard to find, but is worth the search. It is what people strive, look, and try for. Beauty is always there, but it’s just hiding. Beauty is mysterious, and sometimes you need to stop and just look for it. Just try it. Stop and try to look for beauty in a regular place, somewhere you normally wouldn’t think there would be any. You will be surprised to find that beauty is probably there. Beauty is everywhere. It is amazing. It is many wonderful things. Beauty is a special thing. Beauty is Beautiful.