I believe in smiles

Elli - Chattanooga, Tennessee

A smile not only makes the receiver’s day but it also gives an invisible power to the giver. Smiling has incredible power as a source of joy and it’s totally free to boot. Why not make somebody’s day if it does not cost anything else than small movement of your face? When I’m sad and some random person smiles to me it makes me feel better. The person can be a passer by, bus driver, friend, secret crush or mom…it does not matter. When I smile it has an impact to me also. When I enjoy things that I’m doing, I give my best shot and smiling is sign of joy. Small things, like smiling, might cause bigger joy than you can imagine.

I have played volleyball for eleven years and during those long years I have discovered one thing: the key of the success is smiling. When I enjoy playing, I get more out of myself and it works for everybody. For the past eleven years I have had many bad days but as long as I have tried to do my best and enjoy the game I have done well. The biggest problem is when I know that I can do better I and I let this knowledge have an impact to me. I get angry and frustrated. Then I start make stupid mistakes, and then I just get more and more angry. It is like a vicious cycle.

Because volleyball is a team sport, your attitude has an impact on others’ moods. On my team, if one losses her temper it effects all of us. The whole team starts to play worse. Happiness is a weird thing. At one second I might have chest full of joy and at the next moment I’ll be like a resident of Hades. When I was younger I hated math. I hated the teacher. I hated everything about the class. I got bad grades and even tried really hard I got bad grades. Even the teacher wasn’t interested about math. Couple years later my teacher changed and the new teacher was the most excited end supportive teacher that I have ever had. He was so excited about math himself that I started to get interested in math too. He tried to make it fun and interesting and that worked well. Suddenly I started to get good grades. First my average increased by two numbers and second math is one of my favorite classes nowadays. All this is because my teacher enjoyed math and he showed to me how to enjoy it as well.

I always say to my mom that she can’t make me smile if I don’t feel like smiling. But I can make myself smile and sometimes I should force myself to smile. In my family I’m the most moody person and I’m not proud of that. My mood impacts the whole family’s mood and many times when my mom and dad have tried to do something nice for me I ruined it because everything wasn’t perfect. I couldn’t appreciate what I got. I wanted more. Now, because I’m thousands kilometers away from my parents I can see how stupid I have been and how much I have got from my parents. Just a small smile during bad day would have prevented some stupid arguments.

I also discovered that smiling to other people, even if I’m sad, makes me feel better. Sometimes we should just smile because that makes other people happy. If you want to be happy you need to do good things for other people and let them be happy too. Happiness is a thing that we should share and smiling is the easiest way.

Let the smiles fill our days!