Believe in the Unbelivable

Whitney - Evansville, Indiana
Themes: hope

When I was growing up, I always heard the saying “anything is possible.” That saying was always way too vague for me to understand completely. Instead, people should say, “believe in the unbelievable.” That is kind of a contradictory statement, but it gives me something to believe in when there is no other option. If you believe in the unbelievable, anything is possible.

Until this past year, I never really believed that anything could happen. Then there were a couple of things that had happened to me (good and bad) that completely changed my perspective. Let’s start off with the good things first. During spring break of last year, I got to do something that I have always wanted to do and never thought that I would do. I have always wanted to meet a celebrity. I got my chance on March 26, 2008. I got to go backstage of the Carrie Underwood concert, and meet Carrie Underwood herself. It was absolutely unbelievable! I had entered an online drawing just at the chance that I would win. I was just sitting in my business class when I got the email saying that I was one of the few selected to participate in her meet and greet. I was so excited that I could hardly contain myself. I got to have my picture taken with her and an autograph. It was the most amazing and unexpected thing that has ever happened to me.

Now, the unbelievable isn’t always an amazing thing. I figured that out last year as well. It was my senior year of high school. I remember sitting in the cafeteria just having lunch. All of a sudden, I see a SWAT team running down the hallway with guns in their hands. I didn’t know what to think. It freaked me out. They then announced for us to stay calm, because there was a gunman at our school. I was in shock, because this kind of stuff only happens on TV. It is not supposed to happen to me. The school was on lockdown for a while, and it seemed as if the entire Evansville Police Department was lined up along the parking lot (you can never be too cautious, especially with kids involved.) Never in a million years would I have thought that I would be a part of a possible school shooting. Thankfully, no one was a part of an actual school shooting, and the gunman was caught. But it could have been a lot worse.

I have learned that there is good and bad in the unbelievable. If you believe in the unbelievable, then you could achieve everything that you have ever wanted. Dreams could come true. But you could also get everything that you have never wanted. I have learned to be careful when believing in the unbelievable, because anything is possible.