What I Believe

David - USA
Themes: carpe diem

Life is too short to not try and make the best of it. I would hope that everyone would live life like it was their last day. I want to share with you how I came to have this knowledge. It was about 2 weeks before I was to serve a mission. Everything was going to work out. I was close to asking Kylie, the love of my life, to wait for me while I was gone. Well, things can change.

I was taking out Kylie for one last shebang. I was going to spend the whole day with her at Lagoon because she loves rollercoaster’s. The day was going to be all about her, because I wanted her to be happy. All was going great! I was with the woman I loved and we were in each others company. What happened next, I hope that no one would ever experience.

We were headed home. I was really late. We were both getting drowsy. Things started to get blurry. I had a feeling deep down that I should probably pull over and take a quick nap. How I wish that I would have heeded that warning. The next thing that I remember is waking up as we made contact with a barbed-wire fence. As we connected, one of the fence posts got dislodged. It seemed to hurl itself right at me, destroying all in its path. It barely missed me, and instead hit the steering wheel. How grateful l am for that steering wheel. I can’t remember what happened next because it was so dark. All I remember is spinning around and coming to a complete halt. I had to gather up some courage to look if Kylie was safe. I looked over and realized Kylie was just fine. We exited the vehicle, and tried to see what had happened. It was, however, too dark to see much of anything. We called her father. He seemed to understand the situation. The plan was to have me stay over, and then see the wreckage the next day. As we got to the site, the memory of the night before flashed through my mind; however, now I could see exactly what happened. Good thing we traveled through some tall grass, as it was easier to see the path we took. We came to the conclusion the car should have rolled three separate times. We were safe and the Lord was truly looking out for us. We all shed tears of joy. The gratitude which I still feel today is inexpressible.

Life is precious. It is something to be cherished and loved. Life is too short to not try to make every day count. If I could sum up life in one word, it would be OPPORTUNITY.