Importance of Time

Rachel - Jonesport, Maine

Importance of Time

I believe in the importance of time. Time is an important issue when dealing with people who are unsure of what is going on in their lives or when mixed feelings are among their thoughts. Many patients who are hospitalized often don’t know exactly why they are in the situation they are facing. Others can’t quite understand how their bodies took a turn for the worst even if they know details about their illness and understand that part. Healthcare providers don’t always talk to them in a timely manner and in a language they can understand.

The time spent with a person can show them how you truly care, and or how seriously you take your job. A little extra time with a person can show them that you want to be there for them and help them to prepare for the next step to be taken in their health.

Many patients fear the worst because they don’t trust medical ability. In my job as a nurse I need to take time and help educate patients to the best of my ability. Some doctors will not have the time, and with knowing this and I should take my time. I am not there to be my patient’s friend, but I am there to help him or her throughout their medical problems and take care of them when they are my responsibility. For example, I should help educate and comfort a patient before surgery so that they aren’t in as much fear, if any at all, before they go into surgery.

I know that when things get hectic on a floor, nurses tend to forget to slow down when they actually do have time. They could take the time to say hello, and not just be in there for a medical purpose. Sometimes patients have only their nurses, C.N.A, and doctors to socialize with

because of lack of family members. Medical professions taking care of the patient need to remember this.

The time a nurse takes with a patient can be crucial in the recovery and well being of a patient. The time dedicated to each patient shows the patient how much a nurse cares about their wellness. Dedicating time to a patient shows a softer side to medical care. In a lot of cases a doctor is in and out, in and out. A patient usually sees a nurse’s face more in their hospitalization. A nurse should take the time to introduce him or herself and let his or her patients know you are there to help and to listen.

I believe time is crucial in the field of nursing as well as other medical positions. If a nurse is always in a rush, his or her patient might feel like he or she is a bother to you and that you don’t have time to sit and listen to his or her needs. Time is a key in letting patients know that the nurse cares, and wants the best well being and recocery for them.