Brandi - Hopkinsville, Kentucky

This I Believe…that America is yet to have a Black President

Is Barrack Obama the first Black president of the United States? If you answered yes to this question you might need to google President Obama’s background. The fact that most people seem to forget is that Obama’s mother and grandmother who raised him were in fact Caucasian. I am not saying that this is not a major step forward in the road to racial equality or that the African American population does not have reason to celebrate. I am simply stating that President Obama is just as much Caucasian as he is Black.

If we want to put a real truth in the history books instead of saying that in 2008 the United States elected the first Black president we should say in the year 2008 the United States elected the first bi-racial president. It is not fair to disregard the fact that Obama is White also. If the Black population wants to celebrate a new first for Black’s they should celebrate the first Black First Lady, Michele Obama.

I also believe that labels are used way too often in today’s society. Why can’t Obama just be a president? If we truly want every race to be equal there needs to be no words that characterize a person by their nationality or color. By using labels to identify people we generalize the person with every other person in that race and take away individuality.

Although labels are a negative thing in every way, if we as a society use them they need to be used correctly, which includes considering President Obama as the first bi-racial president. With everything becoming so politically correct it only seems right that we stop labeling people and see everyone as just people. Unfortunately we as a culture still have a long way to go before we get to that point.