One Shot, One Chance, Once in a Lifetime

Shannon - Fayetteville, New York

People sometimes feel that after they are given an opportunity, they can take it whenever. But I feel that if that chance is very rare, it will only be available for a certain amount of time. Coming from a small house and not having a ton of money, I try to take every risk possible. When I was in fifth grade I was sent a letter from the People to People Student Ambassador program asking if I wanted to participate in a two week long trip to California, I jumped on that opportunity. Even though I had to write an essay for it once a month, I was so excited to go to California. At that time the farthest west I’ve ever traveled was Florida. It turned out being my first time on a plane and the best trip that I’ve been on yet. Even though I didn’t see my family for two whole weeks, I had the time of my life and would never change that trip for anything else in the world. I also learned a lot though; I learned about other people’s lives and made a lot of new friends, because there were people from New York City and Iowa. I found out about the redwoods and San Fransisco, and also traveled to Yosemite. It was a huge learning experience for me, and I grew a lot too, being on the other side of the country without my parents for so long.

I feel that if people just let loose sometimes and take a trip only offered every so often, people would have less stress and just be happier. That’s all it takes. After my trip I have tried to do as much as I can in order to live a healthy but still exciting life. Sometimes even a little thing like going to a major league baseball game or a couple hour trip to New York City can mean so much to a person that’s never done anything like that before.

I believe that since people only have one life, they should make it the best life possible. No one can live their whole life without taking a chance; they have to make time for some excitement. I have realized that after taking a once in a lifetime chance, I feel relieved of all my stress and am able to just relax and go do things that I’ve never done in my life. It’s like a new world is opening up and I get to do things that will never come around again.