Make Yourself

Kara - Manlius, New York

I have made mistakes; I have had failures. I can admit that. One day, I sat down and I thought for a long time. I thought about what was my greatest failure in life. What I regretted the most. There were a lot of options. I sat there for hours, and finally I decided. My greatest failure wasn’t about other people; it was about me. My greatest regret was that I had failed myself. I had failed to push myself. I stopped reaching for the best I could be and settled down into a comfy, cozy second. Well over time, that second slipped into third, fourth. I realized that I could do so much better. Why not? Why didn’t I push myself?

A while ago I was doing terrible in French. My parents weren’t happy and neither was I. I was disappointed in my self. So I made a decision to fix the problem. I made a point to always study and do my homework. I felt so rewarded to see what an improvement I had made in my self, and to see that my hard work really paid off. I had made a decision to change something I was doing to improve my self.

I believe that you make yourself. You define yourself by what you do.. You’re not born with a future. You’re born with a brain and you’re the one who chooses how to use it. The people you meet and the events in life you experience change you. They affect your thinking, your personality. They affect you. Who you are is both, an outcome of where you’ve been, and what you’ve done and the decisions you make.

People don’t have a set destiny. They aren’t destined to fail or succeed. Life is like a journey where you have to choose where you’re going and what path you’re on. Sometimes we look back and wonder; What if? Instead, should we look forward and wonder; What if? Looking back won’t change things or make it better. Learn from it. You are responsible for yourself, not fate. Don’t blame the world for your faults. Take a good look at yourself. Is this what u want to be? If not, change it. You have that choice. You have that decision. That’s all the world gives you, a choice, a reaction. You may be dealt a hand but it’s up to you how you play it.

You can do anything, be anyone. If you want it bad enough anything is possible if you try hard enough. Stop dreaming about your dreams and make them come true. It’s all you. It’s your decision; so make it. I think deciding who you are, is a decision worth thinking about. So stop, make time to figure out who you are and what you want to do with your life because it’s up to you, not fate, not destiny; that’s your decision. I believe you make yourself.