Falling Down

Bianca - phoenix, Arizona

No matter how many times you have fallen, get up and try again. “It never happened. Remember that.” I have followed this quote for many years and found it has helped me with many obstacles I faced in life or sports. My motocross instructor used this phrase often while training his students. His infamous words not only helped improve my riding skills but also situation I’ve encountered in my life. Comparing obstacles in life and motocross many not make sense, but it will.

At times I find disappointment in myself when riding motocross as with issues in my life. There are gnarly, strenuous, and challenging ruts on this track I have to conquer not to mention the male ego syndrome. One episode occurred on a Wednesday evening just about sunset. I finished putting on my gear and hopped on my bike. I thought it would be a typical lesson riding the track I was accustomed to, riding as intensely as I could and Sean correcting my on what areas I required practice. Sean had other plans. He told me “You are going to ride the supercross track.” I choked inside. Sean was the only person who had the ability to ride this track. Of course, I couldn’t say no. I rode my bike in the direction of supercross track thinking tom myself how I was going to take these triples and 150 foot tabletops. Sean wanted to work on my cornering and that meant tight fast cornering was what I needed to do. I rode onto the track and slowly started to increase speed. I was petrified as the track was mud-covered and had more than enough ruts. I continued riding on this track at a constant speed but could hear Sean shouting “Focus.” “Go faster.” I was not listening very well to his instructions. Sean began to flag me down and pulled me aside, correcting me on my riding and demonstrating on what I was doing wrong. I continued onto the track and knew I wasn’t improving. I throttled the bike with so much effort and absolutely no thought behind it, I then found myself flying around the corner of the berm, up and over the handlebars of the bike and hitting the ground like a rag doll. The pain shot through my body in such a way I didn’t even want to get up. I wanted to lie there. As I lay on the ground, I discovered my leg was wedged in underneath the weight of the bike. When you fall the objective is to get up and do it again. Instead, I gave up.

What was said to me was probably the most memorable words a 14 year old could ever hear. Sean said “Get up Bianca. Remember you never fell. I know you can do it, so do it.” These were the most inspirational words anyone could have said to me at this moment. With Sean’s words reeling through my head, “Get up. “You can do it. It never happened.” I managed to free my leg from underneath the bike, lifted it up hopped on and started to ride the track. This time I felt a transformed feeling of power. I realized I was cornering the track like I’ve ever done before. My entire outlook on how a positive mental attitude can help me accomplish something I think is difficult changed dud to Sean’s words.

There was another episode in my life where Sean’s words once again helped me overcome another challenging time. It is difficult for me to understand things they may come easy to others. I didn’t have the capability to learn guitar as quickly as my friends. I find it more enjoyable to have someone teach me the tabs for a song rather than learning them myself or attempting to ‘play by ear.’ I had been playing guitar for five years yet my boyfriend, who had been playing for two years, didn’t have to put as much effort into it as I did and was learning at a faster pace. When I would ask him to teach me a song, he appeared impatient and expected me to learn it the first time. He would become irritated as if I either didn’t really care to learn or wasn’t trying. He would end up frustrated and stop trying to teach me. I felt offended and naturally would give up. I realized a good mental attitude was not just for a sport activity, such as motocross, but could be used for learning guitar or whatever else I applied. I said to myself no matter how many times it takes me to learn this song, I will not give up. Everyone is different and each learns at their own pace. I know I can learn these songs as long as I give myself it me. Once I etched these words into my mind, I found taking the time necessary for me to pace myself helped me learn these songs, I only asked for help when needed. After using my own advice, I became more confident and developed an easy way of understanding whenever my boyfriend taught me new songs. Anytime I find myself failing I follow these words.

Five years have gone and everyday this quote goes through my mind and seems to tow me out of life conflicts I need to overcome. It’s astonishing how a few words can actually change a person’s attitude on life. Not only have these words made me a better person, I am more relaxed and if I don’t accomplish something on my first try and actually find it more enjoyable when learning new skills. This is important as I was always frustrated with learning and considered myself as stupid and not able to truly accomplish anyting well. My learning has improved in school and other activities. It really doesn’t matter how many times it takes or how many times I fail, get back up, take a deep breath, and…GO!

Everyone reaches stumbling blocks in their life and anyone can apply these words of encouragement. I do not have to think myself as unintelligent. Self-degradation will only put me in a mental state of failure. I tell myself I can do it. I am sure to take my time and follow through slowly. I am able to accomplish whatever I put my mind to. It will make me a better and happier person. I find myself I’m not frustrated and shouting at others for what are my own mistakes. The greatest words ever said to me. “No matter how many times you have fallen, get right back up and do it again because it never happened. Remember that.”

Thanks Sean