lucas - evansville, Indiana

I’ve always been an independent person. I never really liked to listen to what other people were doing, I just had my own way of doing them. That’s why I believe in being independent. During every summer in high school I worked for my dad. Every day I would get up at five thirty in the morning and go along with my dad and his crew and pour concrete. My dad has done it every day since he was eighteen. He is now an owner of his own concrete business and is making a very good living.

About a year ago, when I was deciding what I wanted to do in life and what I wanted to do after high school, his business crossed through my mind. I thought I might want to take over his business, and maybe make a living pouring concrete. Then I realized last summer that this isn’t what I want to do with my life. I quickly came up with a new idea, I wanted to go to college. I wanted something that would make a better future for me and to have something that I enjoy getting up for work every day.

When I confronted my dad about my new future plan he did something that surprised me. He asked me why I wanted to do that. The faith that I thought my dad had in me was suddenly lost in a single sentence. I didn’t understand what he wanted me to do. Growing up my dad didn’t go to college and he didn’t really have any friends that did either and it wasn’t as popular back then. So I tried to explain to him and he still had the same idea. He asked me why I didn’t want to get into a trade or a two year school. His ideas were trying to be an influence on me, but it was just as much a motivation for me to prove him wrong.

This conflict with my dad made it hard for me because I felt as if I were letting him down in a way. Everyone knows how hard it is to do something that your parents don’t want you to do, its hard, especially when its something that’s just as important to you as it is to them. I believe I made the right decision, I am just getting used to the college thing and I can see my future opening up. I still pour concrete every day during the summer with my dad. I use the job just for some spending money, not an internship.