I Believe in Disneyland

Janica - Roberts, Idaho

With the beautiful California sun warming my cheeks and happy people of all ages everywhere, I can’t help but be in the best mood. There is a light scent of sweet caramel corn in the air as I stroll down Main Street. I am surrounded by laughter and joy. Soaring over Neverland in a pirate ship, whisking through a mansion filled with ghosts, and getting soaked after plummeting down a mountain in a log are all some of my favorite things to do here. Its magical how as soon as I pass beneath the gates that read, “Here you leave today and enter a world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy,” all the cares of my stressful world disappear. When in this place, I feel a connection to all those around me. I believe in Disneyland.

There’s nothing like seeing a little girl dressed as her favorite Disney princess getting Cinderella’s autograph. That little girl holds such wonder and joy in her eyes. Seeing this young girl always makes me remember one of my favorite trips to Disneyland. I was six years old and absolutely loved Tinkerbelle. I insisted on my mother buying me a Tinkerbelle dress that I could wear to the parade that evening. I vividly remember strolling through the park and being admired by all. I felt like a princess. When it came time for the parade, I made sure that my younger sister and I could sit right up front. We were so excited to see all of our favorite Disney characters. Towards the end of the parade, all the floats stopped to do a little show. All of the Disney characters were singing and dancing. I remember a woman dressed as a fairy came over and picked me to dance along with a few other children from the crowd. Dancing alongside all the other Disney characters, I felt like the luckiest girl in the world. When the song came to an end, sparkling confetti exploded everywhere. Even though many years have passed since that exciting day, I can still remember the final words to the song, “If you just believe.”

As I continue grow up, I hope to always remember the importance of being a kid. Believing in Disneyland helps me to do so. I try to keep in mind the carefree wonder that I feel while in that magical place. I love seeing three year olds running right alongside their grandparents to meet Winney the Poo. Its remarkable how one place can bring such magic and delight to so many people.