Walking With the Unexpected

Chelsea - Evansville, Indiana
Themes: change

When I sat down to write about my belief, I was hard pressed to find something I wanted to write about. I was expecting something to come into my head, simply just waiting for it to pop up. Then, a few days ago, it came to me. I believe in the unexpected.

Would you believe me if I told you I walked to class with a black goose? It seems absurd really, but it is true. As I walked out of my residence hall one morning I saw a black goose that was maybe 15 feet away from me. As I started to walk up the side walk, it seemed to want to join me. Trying to avoid being bitten or attacked, I decided to step down onto the street. The goose still found it necessary to walk with me. I wasn’t sure what to expect but it just seemed to want to follow me. As I finally made my way into class I couldn’t believe what just happened nor did I expect it. That is one reason I believe in the unexpected.

When I thought about things that have happened in my life, I realized the many more reasons why I could believe in the unexpected. Four years ago I ventured on a three week trip to Europe. The group I was in was made up of students my age that lived around my area. We were traveling to England, Ireland, and Whales. Within the first week of my trip, something happened to me that I will never forget.

Our main way of traveling around London was usually on a bus, but on our fourth day we traveled on the underground subway. We were supposed to spend all day traveling from place to place underground. I am from a small town so I was excited because I had never experienced a subway. After about a half an hour of riding, the system was stopped and we were all asked to get off and walk. The person over the intercom said the subway wasn’t running because of a power outage and I didn’t understand because we still had lights.

As we were walking, our group leader said we had to go back to the hotel. I was upset because we hadn’t even been able to sightsee yet! When we got back to the hotel, we were told the subway was bombed only a mile from where we stopped. I couldn’t believe something could happen so close to me. I never expected I would come so close to something so awful.

Many things happen in life that we may never expect. Some people may never come close to a bombing or walk with a goose like I did but it has taught me something valuable. In believing in the unexpected, I can not only live life to the fullest but also learn and grow as a person. Most importantly, I can believe in the unexpected.