Nonconformity is the New Conformity

Sam - Evansville, Indiana

As I walk to my favorite music venue to see my favorite band, I see all kinds of people in all kinds of sizes, but almost all of them look exactly the same. Almost every single one of them acts the same. Most of them have no shoes. The sad thing is all of these people think they are not conforming, but they took nonconformity so far that they turned it right around and made it conformity.

I see the same happen on the opposite side of the spectrum. People worry too much about looking cool that they become someone that they do not want to be. I have a personal story, but it is the same as everyone else’s. I wanted to be cool then I drank a lot of alcohol then I looked back at my life then I stopped then I lived happily ever after. It is the same for almost everyone.

Nowadays I can almost taste it in the media. Numerous songs and television ads are telling everyone to “Be Yourself.” How can a person be himself if he is told to be? If too many people are told to be themselves, then the end result can be pretty emo (the people in my introduction). This is why I believe in practicing and not preaching. I also believe nobody needs to “Be Themselves;” they just need to “Be.”

I am not trying to say that no one is unique or special. Our parents thought of us as special, and in that way we all are. They at the very least helped create a life, and we are the result. How is that not special? I just do not think we need to go take extreme measures to show our uniqueness because someone told us to. It is great if someone made the completely independent choice to get that tattoo or piercing or to buy and wear that shirt.

That person is perfect in my opinion, and I believe that it is terribly hard to only be influenced on the exterior completely independently. I know for sure that I still do not. If anyone wants my advice, just do not even listen to me. That is exactly what I want. I just proved that I have no idea what I am talking about anyway.