Brittnee - Yorktown, Virginia

From the time I was old enough to comprehend theories, I began to believe the kid-friendly morals that and cartoons often portray; “anything is possible” being one of them. As I grew older, I started to learn that this statement is not always true. Some things are beyond control, and therefore makes the possibility of anything becoming possible impossible. If we are going to believe this, we should first consider the realities, positives, and negatives of every situation.

I am a very realistic person; I feel that the choices and actions that you make from the time you are young influence your future.

I have always wanted to become the President of the United States. Now that I have two speeding tickets, this is no longer an option. When we tell children that they can do anything, we neglect to give them the required stipulations. We don’t tell them that in order to become a supermodel, they have to have the “in” appearance. These requirements are not always possible to meet, and due to realistic circumstances such as a lack of money, a child’s fantasy might be abandoned. As Americans, we have access to much of what we want; this makes us happy but also teaches us to expect to have everything we want. If society would learn to be more accepting of reality, then we wouldn’t have many of the fantasies that we abide by.

My mother was raised in an era where pre-marital sex was strictly frowned upon; when she found an unopened condom in my drawer, I was automatically grounded for three months. In many schools today, teens take family life classes that educate them on safe sex and provide them with the appropriate tools, as in my case. Much like my mother jumping to conclusions, today’s America does the same thing. If something isn’t to our personal liking, we tend to try and fix it without considering whether it has the possibility of being positive. Had my mom attempted to see both sides of the spectrum, she would have accepted that and practicing protection was for the good. Instead, she chose the automatic approach of punishing me. If we are going to say that “anything is possible”, we should consider the positives and negatives, and accept the situation for what it is.

We have hundreds of versions of fairy tales, but none with realism incorporated. As impressionable children, we want to believe that this is how life works. It is wrong to paint such a false picture; if we mix a substantial amount of practicality into our teachings, our culture would be a lot smarter. Everything is not truly possible; the reality of the situation, complete with the right positives and negatives, have to complement each other in order to have the perfect dream come true. I propose that the statement be changed from “anything is possible”, to “under the appropriate conditions, anything is possible”.