Dirt Biking

Rhen - Rexburg, Idaho

I believe in dirt biking.

I believe in feeling the motor roar underneath my body. I love the adrenaline that comes from speeding down a trail, hitting a jump and pulling wheelies. There is great joy and satisfaction in trail riding. There are many obstacles to work your way through; I believe in dedication to overcome the challenges that lie in the way while dirt biking.

I got up early one Saturday morning, the dew on the grass still somewhat frozen as the sun rose. I drove up to a mountain range covered in trees, unloaded the bike and raced down a trail. The first climb was full of switchbacks, rocks, slick roots, tree limbs, stumps, ruts and bushes. Making my way through the obstacles is something I love because it pushes me to the limit, tests my skills and abilities. Cresting the top I could see the lookout, I glanced back only to observe the dust drifting back down to the trail. I found myself gazing around in awe appreciating the beauty of the earth. I could see for miles with endless tree lines backed against the sapphire sky, certain peaks blanketed in snow. This is the joy-the part of the journey that makes it all worth while-a smile comes to my face as I let out a sigh.

I believe in dirt biking, sitting at the bottom of a massive hill studying the terrain. As I start the bike my heart rate increases, the adrenaline starts going and my body knows it’s time to start riding. I put the bike into gear. Once I get started up the hill turning back is not an option; I’m committed, and if I try to turn back the law of gravity takes effect usually sending me painfully down the hill. It’s imperative that I hold on, keep the throttle pinned and work the clutch to master the bike to the top. I tear up the hillside with dirt trailing the rear tire, the roar of the motor working rapidly to attain the apex.

I believe many life lessons may be to be learned from dirt biking. Dirt biking has helped me grow and have confidence that I can overcome any challenge life throws. It is a hard thing to climb a hill or mountain, with many hurdles along the way, but I have learned how vital it is to keep pushing on. An old saying goes, “If you’re not on the path that leads uphill, you’re on the wrong path.” I believe there is an honest way around everything that comes my way in life. Sometimes life can throw me curves while traveling through this journey, just as barriers come my way while trail riding. I just have to continue on, either pushing forward or find another way. The reward is great and is so worth it in the end; it’s helped me in weaker areas of my life and I’m now more confident in life’s curves.