I believe in Strength

Emily - DeKalb, Illinois

The kind of strength I believe in is the same that so many people hope for. After school, I came home and hopped on the flat little box that consumed my life. 197.6 Lbs. Something inside me snapped, I felt like a prisoner for far too long. The weight held me down, I thought I was too fat to play any sports. I became shy and rarely spoke to anyone besides close friends. Every time I had an opinion in class, I was to scared of people looking at me. Each of my thoughts centered on my size. When people looked at me, it was the first thing they saw: it was defining who I was.

Looking at the 197.6, thinking “oh my gosh, almost 200 lbs. I’m only in eighth grade”, I knew I had to change. This was not me, I was being bottled up inside. I literally felt like a prisoner. I was never able to escape it, never able to stop thinking about it, it followed me everywhere.

I wanted more than anything to change, and I knew the only way it would happen is if I changed myself. I began by eating half of what I was use to. And after dropping a few pounds, I got the courage to try working out. It was not fast, but I also started to brake out of my shell. I soon came to love putting my self out of my box. I began to walk up to people and start conversations and I let my personality come out. I would search for opportunities to try new things that I was always too scared to do before. I got a job as a lifeguard, I began to participate in sports, and my grades all went up. In church I read a scripture in Doctrine & Covenants 89: 20, “And shall run and not be weary, and shall walk and not faint.” I lost 70 lbs. and am still continuing to work out daily.

I believe in this inner strength that I have embraced. I want to help others feel the way I do. Not to be scared or let something like how much they weight hold them back from being who they really are. It was such a life changing event for me, I want to change others lives also. I have decided that I would go to school to become a Personal Trainer. I could not think of a job that would bring me more happiness than knowing I have helped someone else become strong.