Attitude

Max - Katy, Texas

This I believe…

I believe in the power of attitude. Attitude is the one thing that a person can consistently control. It is the driving force behind every decision made and every action taken. A person’s attitude can make them or break them; it can be the difference between ordinary and extraordinary.

In my relatively short life, my attitude has affected the outcome of many different paths I have undertaken. The most important revelation happened some where between sophomore year and senior year.

In middle school and early high school, I didn’t really think my grades mattered, and so I decided that hanging out with my friends was a higher priority than doing homework or studying. Every progress report and report card, I would fight with my parents, engaging in a never-ending struggle, like the waves on a beach, going back and forth. This went on for several years, and I still associate grades with getting grounded, but when the time came around for college applications to be sent in, I began to realize just how important grades really are.

The problem I had was my attitude. Earlier, I just didn’t see any short term benefits from getting good grades, so I assumed the attitude of, “well, I don’t care about when I’m like twenty, I want to chill with my friends, not study.” That attitude affected my performance, and is still having ramifications on my life. Fortunately, I have been able to change my attitude, and now usually try my best at whatever I do, but I still have an occasional internal conflict between the “old” Max, and the “new” Max.

A famous poet by the name of Charles Swindoll once said, “I am convinced that life is ten percent what happens to me and ninety percent how I react to it.” I firmly and absolutely agree with him, and I plan to live out my life with this creed always in mind.