Stuff happens.

Connor - Syracuse, New York
Themes: carpe diem

Let’s face it; you never know what life’s going to throw at you.

By age 15, I have had many experiences that took me by surprise. While some were blessings or blessings in disguise, I’ve experienced stuff that was bad, and sometimes hurt. However, I just had to accept this fact: stuff happens in life, and you just have to accept it and move on.

Things don’t always go the way you want it to. In 2007, June 28 was the day where I would be going back to the USVI, only this time, for a week. The previous night, I had watched the weather channel for a forecast of the regions I would be flying over. After seeing this, I thought everything was going to work smoothly. This is why I was surprised to see a ridiculously long ticketing line, an under-staffed ticket counter, all self-service machines broken, an under-staffed security checkpoint, and our flight delayed by an hour and a half. This caused us to get to Charlotte late, miss our connection, spend the night in a crummy hotel, and fly out the next day. I just had to accept it and move on, because I knew that there was plenty of other people who had it way worse that we did, and I was thankful that I could go on vacations at all. And we were upgraded to first class.

Sometimes, what looks bad might just be a blessing in disguise. This summer, I went to Mirror Lake, right next to Lake Placid. One day, it was raining hard, so I went down to the indoor hotel pool. I was about to get into the water when a man walked up to me and told me that his son had “went” in the pool. There was no way I was going to get in now and it scared me that my first impulse was to jump in the moment I got there. However, when I got back to the room, I looked outside and saw that it had stopped raining. I couldn’t think of anything else to do, so I went fishing. And that day was probably the best fishing day I’ve ever had there. Over the course of four hours before it became too dark, I caught two large mouth bass, three small mouth bass, two rock bass, and seven yellow perch. In a way, the feces in the pool were the blessings in disguise that gave me great fishing.

Life doesn’t always tell you “hey, your appendix is going to come close to rupturing in a few hours,” as this had happened to me this summer, or “watch out, that bus driver isn’t going to acknowledge the red light,” as I always seem to experience when trying to cross any street in Boston. But that’s life for you. If one really wants to do well in life you must face whatever life throws at you and move on. This I believe.