Never Again Will I Take Today for Granted

Jasmine - Universal City, Texas
Themes: family, love

I believe in saying I love you today because there might not be a tomorrow.

I was six years old when I lost my first great-grandparent. Thankfully I had the chance to say I love you to my great-grandfather many times over the telephone. However, what was truly special was when I was able to say these three, everlasting, one syllable words to him in person as I visited my great-grandfather only months before his death. I have often wondered, what if I had not been able to say these words to him, that to most are merely just three simple words? How would he have ever known how much I truly cared about him? I am thankful, that I as a young child said I loved you as many of times as possible, because I truly meant it. I am thankful I said these words even without an understanding of how important it was that I said it right then and there, not later.

As I grew older, I lost two more great-grandparents, one when I was at the preteen age of twelve, and the other at the age of fifteen. Thankfully, before the loss of my great-grandmothers, I said I love you. However, I did not understand the true importance of saying these words when I did. Not until the recent illness of my grandfather did I understand the true importance of saying I love you.

After living with my grandfather who is disabled due to a great time of illness, I have come to the reality of the real importance of saying I love you now not tomorrow. There were many times before he grew ill that I said I love you to him, but I never understood why I should say it now, tomorrow, and the next day. In a way I am sad but thankful, that it took my grandfather falling ill and me moving in with him to realize the true importance of saying such priceless words.

Living with him, seeing his struggles, and the reality that he might not be here when I wake up tomorrow, is what has taught me that saying I love you now is of true significance to the ones you love most.

Thank goodness, I learned this when I did, because now I say it to people I truly care about above all other things. And if I would have understood why it is so important to say I love you now, I would have said I love you, to many people close to me sooner than I did.

Never again will I take today for granted, because you never know when your chance to say I love you will be lost forever.