What Shoes Can Do For You

Emily - Barbourville, Kentucky

What Shoes Can Do for You

When walking through an airport terminal if a person were to look down and just observe, what they would see is very interesting. Passing quickly without fail are a million different types of shoes, each telling a story about the person who is wearing them. Shoes give away so many things, what do your shoes say about you?

I believe in the power of shoes, they take people where they need to go, effect mood, and even reflect personality. Shoes share the happiest and saddest moments of a person’s life, biggest accomplishments to the hardest shortcomings. Choosing what shoes to wear on a specific day is no simple task.

For me, deciding what pair of shoes to wear each day requires great thought. First and foremost if must reflect and match the outfit to be worn that day. Secondly, they must be comfortable because as a college student at the University of Kentucky walking is inevitable. My shoes make or break me, if I am going out to dinner I like to wear a pair of plain black pumps, given my short height they make me feel taller. For working out the only way to go is Nike Shox. They provide confidence and give just the push needed to run that last mile. Shoes can be wild and crazy or practical. They can be funny or serious, happy or sad.

Some buy name brands and others feel more comfortable knowing they didn’t spend one hundred dollars on a pair of shoes, but whatever a person’s style what shoes they choose reflect who they are. I have a wide range of shoes in my closet, and I am a strong believer that feet are never a place to scrimp. My shoe hanger consists of Nike tennis shoes for working out, Sperry’s for that casual look, black pumps for formal wear, riding boots for my favorite pastime, and of course the casual flip flop for lifeguarding.

Footwear can be as simple as something to throw on while running to the store, or can be just what is needed to lift a mood on a gloomy day. Everyone has that one pair of shoes that make them feel confident no matter what they are doing. My Confident shoes are my riding boots. I have been riding since a very young age, and it never ceases that when I put my boots on I feel like I could conquer the world.

I find that one of the most interesting things you can do is to go sit at a shoes store and just observe what kind of shoes each person picks out. From children to senior citizens, picking out a pair of shoes is a big statement to one’s character. I challenge all readers to do this the next time they find themselves in a shoe store.

I’ll never forget the morning I realized how important my shoes were. It was 6:00 AM and way to early to be awake for swim team conditioning, but since my opinion didn’t matter very much, there I was. We were all stretching as the coaches were outlining what we would be required to do in the two hours before we went to the pool. The weather channel was giving rain and snow; it was the middle of December. None of this stopped us from practicing though.

The workout consisted of a four-mile run and thirty sprints. The first two miles weren’t horrible and all twenty or so members of the team started out the run with little difficulty. However; on the last two miles of the run blisters began to form and the rain started to fall. With pouring drops flying into my face I thought there was no way I could finish this run. It was the middle of December and it couldn’t have been healthy so I began to slow. Only to hear the bellowing voice of my coach that the weather wasn’t going to stop us so I had to keep going.

At the end of the run we all had blisters on our feet and couldn’t feel anything. So the sprints began, by the end of those two hours I don’t think anyone was even comprehending the words the coaches were saying. We were all so tired and just wanted

to get inside. I can honestly say it was the only time I was ever ready to jump into that hot pool and swim for another two hours.

As I took off my shoes to get into the pool that morning I had more blisters than could possibly be imagined. My feet were bleeding and the thought of the chlorine touching all those open cuts made me want to throw up. I glanced slightly to my left where my best friend was taking off her shoes as well and there wasn’t a blister in sight. As I asked her how she escaped unscathed she looked at me and said, “ Emily, buy the right shoes and nothing will bring you down.” And that single quote became my inspiration for always buying the best shoes, and letting them make my day.

Since that horrible morning when my feet were ruined I carefully make each shoe purchase with the knowledge that just one pair of shoes can make such a difference. Whether it is for a formal affair or just working out, what shoes you wear should make you feel confident in yourself and give you the power to conquer anything.

When walking through an airport terminal always observe people all around. Looking down and noticing something as simple as a pair of shoes can show a persons personality. Shoes can demonstrate a lifestyle, a bad day, or an excellent mood. Don’t pass up the small things and realize what shoes can do for you.