Stop Dreaming, and Start Believing

Breeona - Wadesville, Indiana

I have big, big dreams, so big, that sometimes I wonder if I am actually capable of accomplishing them. They require so much hard work and dedication that I wonder if it is really what I want to do, but every December I turn my TV to ESPN to watch the top fifteen girls in the world compete in barrel racing at the National Finals Rodeo. That is when I get that feeling. I want to be them so bad. They are my idols. It is my biggest dream. Watching them reminds me to stop dreaming and start believing.

I know that if I believe in myself I can do anything, because I have done it before. I use to dream about beating the unbeatable, at barrel races, but two years ago I stopped dreaming and started believing. I was at the 2006 National Barrel Horse Association Teen World Championships in Jackson, MS. Every year youth and teens from all over the world qualify and go there to compete for a world title. It was my 4th year and I had never made it to the final round before, but this year I had a new horse with all the potential. In the first round I ran a 15.2, but did not place. I had another chance in the second round to place and get to advance to the final round. I knew my horse had a lot of potential and before I went to get ready to run I told my family that I was going to run a 14.9, which would place with the top horses there. As I was preparing to run I kept telling myself and my horse, Dutch that we could do it. My name was called and it was my turn to run. Dutch got all excited and did his hop to the gate. Once we were in the alley way I let him go and pushed him to the first barrel. He made a quick turn and we were off to the second. He has a habit, especially at the second barrel, of slowing down, and turning too quick resulting in a knocked barrel, which is a disqualification. Keeping this in mind, I kicked him all the way around the second barrel. We made it around and headed to the final, third barrel. He made a quick turn and ran home with his nose out and his ears pinned back. We crossed the timer and I looked at the clock. I did it! I ran a 14.9 and I ended up placing sixth out of the one thousand entries. For the first time I got to compete in the final round.

That day made me realize that you really can do something if just stop dreaming, and start believing. I still dream of competing at the NFR, and I am on my way to believing I one day will.