Fate or Coincidence?

Ashley - miami shores, Florida

I believe in fate; that everything happens for a reason. I believe that one choice that we make affects what happens in the future, not only of our lives but of others as well. This belief all started in the year that I was in fifth grade.

My elementary school, Holy Family, was well, big on family. Everyone was a winner and in fifth grade you could try out for sports. With the whole everyone is a winner philosophy, everyone made the sports team. At the time my whole life revolved around dance. I ate, slept and breathed dance. I also wasn’t the most athletic person. There was one thing that I was set out to try, though: volleyball. I took home the packet that would allow me to play volleyball. I begged my parents for the chance to play. They said that they would think about it and with that, I returned to life of rigorous dance. As time went by, my parents still hadn’t made a decision. Then all of a sudden, BAM! Time was up. No volleyball for Ashley Rey.

Of course, knowing my luck, the day after deadline, my parents said yes. The day after that, I went to talk to the athletic director. Right away he said no, that it was too late. Over the week, I kept begging him to let me play. Finally, the AD gave in and I had my shot. Tryouts were the week following, and as a stated before, I wasn’t very athletic. I know for a fact that if there had been cuts made, I wouldn’t have made it. Throughout fifth grade, sixth grade and seventh grade I was always the benchwarmer. The year of seventh grade was the first year I played club volleyball. I came back to school in eighth grade and was the best on the team.

Now, I am one of the top volleyball players at this school. With hard work and a strong desire to better my self, I believe that I can go to college on this sport. It is hard to picture my life without a volleyball in it. And it all started with a late deadline acceptance and an everyone is a winner attitude.