Lucia - 13066, New York

You can be the nicest person in the world with nobody respecting you. I believe being nice is important. However, there is a line between nice and too nice. Being nice for me is being polite and considerate while being able to say no and do what you believe to be right. Being too nice is tending to other people’s happiness while ignoring your needs. Being too nice is not bad, but the lack of integrity that sometimes comes with it is. You need to be happy with yourself, and be able to express who you are without hurting other people.

Having cousins and friends living in my house is one of the best things that have happened to me. Although they aren’t as close as my sister, they are a big part of the family. Because I wanted to become better friends with them, I did everything to be nice .By being nice, I did chores for them that normally they would have to do. I didn’t tell my mom when they did something wrong. Sometimes, I would suppress my thoughts and beliefs because it contradicts with what they thought. I wouldn’t say things that were considered critical or things that would try to change their habits. Pretty soon, they knew I would do anything for them and I became their bland, nice friend.

Okay, my cousins weren’t evil, but I felt like they saw me as a person that couldn’t be hurt. They thought I was nice enough to understand if they let their stress out on me. They thought I didn’t mind doing things they didn’t wanted to do because I was nice. However, I did mind and I didn’t like being with them. I felt they were using me, and didn’t really know me.

After almost 2 months, I started to show the real side of me. At first, I felt awkward saying what I wanted and not doing all the things they asked me to do. Pretty soon, they stopped asking me to do things that they could do themselves. When I told them what bothered me, they understood and tried to fix. Also, they started to come to me for advice. They like the truthful me better than the fake me. Next thing I know, I enjoyed being with them and they got to know me, the not so nice me and all.