My Best Friend

Jillian - Wadsworth, Ohio

Growing up with an older brother may not exactly sound like a blessing; but I know firsthand that I would not be the person I am today without the guidance of my brother, Reid. We laughed together during the countless summers we spent in North Carolina, cried together when we lost our grandfather and shared just about everything down to our last name. It’s funny how I’ve come to value my relationships more and more with age; and I believe that the relationship I share with my sibling is among one of the most near and dear to my heart.

It’s times of change when I treasure our relationship most; last March, Reid got engaged to his girlfriend of six years. That’s when I realized that we’re not kids anymore; as much as we would both love to sit around in our pajamas all day long and play video games, we have come to accept that were adults now and it’s time to mature. It’s an indescribable feeling when you realize that life is changing and we’re starting new chapters; but it’s a relief to know that I have someone to help me with the transition.

Changing from a high school senior to a college freshman can be one of the most terrifying experiences that a teenager goes through; but having someone who has experienced it before me has lifted an incredible weight off my shoulders. If I ever need advice, someone to talk to or a good laugh when I am down, Reid is just a phone call away. There would be times when I would call him and explode into complaints, worries and tears, and all he would have to do is simply say “its okay” and it seemed my fears would disappear. I respect him more than anyone else I have ever met in my life; not just because he is my brother, but because he is one of the most intelligent people I know.

Not everyone has the luxury of having a close bond with their sibling; most people wouldn’t even consider their older brother to be their friend. I am sure that I would not have the confidence and the resilience that I do today had it not been for Reid. I am proud to call him my role model, my best friend, and my brother.