Strengthen the family

sara - Provo, Utah

I have lived in Nevada most of my life and have come to take deep pride in its beautiful deserts and rich history it contains. There is something I am not proud of. Early on I became aware of the festering wound affecting my town and other cities in Nevada. Even with a small population, the town I grew up in had two prostitution businesses. My town is in the path of a high traffic area and truckers of I-80 are big consumers of this atrocious trade. I have witnessed many levels of harm it has had on families. It is a cancerous growth that is masquerading as a human right. Legalized prostitution should be outlawed because of the devastating effects it has on families and humans in general.

The preamble of the constitution clearly states, “We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.” Legalized prostitution is contrary to the very foundations of what makes this country great. Some have argued that this trade is protected by the constitution; I declare that this is false. The right to privacy and free will are superseded when it infringes on another’s right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. In our early history, northern citizens believed that slavery was inherently wrong. Many women’s rights activist have proclaimed that this trade is comparable to slavery and in every way is condescending to woman whether it is entered into by choice or not.

The cataclysmic effects of prostitution are comparable to the black plague. Everyone who is exposed is harmed. Prostitution degrades the sanctity of the sacred union and commitment of a husband and wife. It allows the thinking that it is acceptable to act upon any desire. As people act upon their carnal whims they lose the ability to see between their freedoms and the freedoms of others. These circumstances are what our founding fathers were speaking of when they insured Justice and domestic tranquility. Families are ordained of God and for this reason they have always existed. It is a proven fact that when the basic unit of the family is harmed and begins to fail everything else in society will also begin to falter.

Legalized prostitution is a heinous and degrading trade that will only eat away at the moral fabric of everything that this country once held dear. There are morals that the human race must live by to thrive, be successful and find joy in this life. Prostitution annihilates any prospect for obtaining any of these achievements. In no way does it help society and in no way does it build up the base of our nation, the family. With over 50,000 of these evil institutions they continue to fester and grow as termites at the base of a home, we will fall because of it. We cannot allow this holocaust on the family to continue. For these reasons I implore all to do what they can to prohibit prostitution and fortify the family.