Fam(ily)-I love you for short

Christopher - Madisonville, Kentucky

I believe everyone has at least one person that loves them, whether they realize it or not. The word love is tossed around so loosely now that some people question its existence. However, I have witnessed love in its rawest forms and most pure forms through family.

I consider family to be a group of people who love one another unconditionally and who have a common bond; Therefore, my family is very large and consists of people outside of blood lines. Actually, I found my family through love, which may sound odd. As a child I heard older people say, “You can pick your friends but you can’t pick your kin,” and I always thought it was odd for them to speak these words. See, according to my definition of family, love is one of the main bonds to family and you definitely cannot help who loves you.

There was a time in my life where I was unsure if I would ever find a person who truly loved me. While most people can count on their biological families for this I was unsure. I believe love is an action that has to be shown to people in order for them to believe the words.

The one person in the world that I know without a doubt who loves me is my girlfriend. Her love is genuine and it is sometimes unrelenting. Through her love I have been able to find love and family that I now consider my own. Her parents claim me as their own and there is nothing that can break that. Not only do I have a home with them but also my very own room where my awards and accomplishments are displayed proudly on the walls.

Families are there in the hardest times to lift you up and in your brightest times to cheer you on. In the last four years my family has took me in when my blood relatives neglected to care, and my mother (my girlfriends mother) helped me get a loan so that I would be in college right now. When someone genuinely loves you it is unnecessary to ever question it because it is such an obvious gesture. I believe love can be shown through warm chocolate chip cookies, laundry that is brought home dirty and is returned washed and dried with the smell of Gain, and most importantly prayers for safety and success.

Families show unconditional love that never waivers or falls because love is more than a word or a kind phrase. The first time my parents (my girlfriends parents) told me that they loved me I felt like I belonged and I knew I was at home. Love had joined us together and there was nothing that could tear us apart.