One Person Can Make A Difference in the World

Rose - Fayetteville, New York
Themes: humanism

One Person Can Make a Difference in the World

After a mission trip down to the Dominican Republic this past summer I believe that one person can make a difference in this world.

It all started when I was sitting at my brother’s basketball game when I got a call from my friend about our church organizing a group of teens going to the Dominican Republic. A couple months later I went on the trip with 23 other teens and adults not expecting how the experience would change me. It was truly an amazing experience that changed my life forever.

My belief all started when we visited a garbage dump where Haitian families live. We met up with a Haitian school teacher named Juan, who took us to a dump where the families live. Juan travels around to different schools to teach kids. You could tell that this man was greatly respected by the kids and they enjoyed every moment that he got to teach them. It really showed that going to school was a privilege for these kids and that we should all be more thankful of it. I could tell that he was making a difference in those kids’ lives. It is a perfect example of how one person was making a difference in our world.

Another day, we visited a Haitian school where it was over 100 degrees and as I was walking in the school, a little boy came over and held up his hands like he wanted to be picked up. I picked him up off the dirt ground and held him for the rest of the time that we were there. When we had to leave I tried to put him down and I couldn’t. It was extremely hard to pull him off to leave. As I waved goodbye, he slowly walked away all by himself. I know that those couple hours that I held him in the 100 degree weather meant something to him.

A feeling of discomfort rushed over me as I left. I felt like there was so much that had to be done. Back in the United States I came to realize that while our group was down there we made a difference in this world. It might have even been the simplest thing like feeding a shoe shine boy a meal off the street, or giving a pair of shoes to a kid who had none or helping the orphans make scrapbooks of our time there. In some way or another we touched those kids’ lives that, I believe, they will always remember.

I now realize that the words in the song “Imagine” by John Lennon truly meant something for our mission as our theme song.

Imagine all the people

Living life in peace

You may say that I’m a dreamer

But I’m not the only one

I hope someday you’ll join us

And the world will be as one

If high school students can make a difference, then so can you. If we all gave back in one way to this world, someday our world will live as one. All it takes is one person with a dream to make a difference in this world. With everyone’s efforts I believe that we will live as one in peace.