Family Unity

Nelson - Belmont, Massachusetts
Themes: family, setbacks

I believe in family unity. Many personal experiences that have cluttered my life throughout its duration have led me to this joyous statement. My family has not always been very unified in most ways and it has allowed me to make a firm decision and belief of my own in wanting to establish unity and happiness for my future family. Going through the trials of having my parents divorce has made me want nothing but the best for my family in the years to come. I have realized that there is nothing worse for a child than to have unhappiness in the home. A life full of unity and coherence within a family goes to great lengths. It provides a feeling of success and fulfilled achievement.

Growing up in a chaotic household of four overbearing, growing boys was hard enough on the family as a whole. But when the idea of my father not going to church anymore came apparent, happiness plummeted in vast amounts every day that went by thereafter. Slowly the relationship between my parents began to fade.

Over time my mom felt as though she needed to get away so we moved to Boston. One of my brothers decided to stay with my father. The family was officially split. My brother who stayed with my father began to follow in his footsteps and slowly distanced himself from the church as well. The unity that my family had once consisted of was lost, and my mother cluttered her mind with thought of desperation and failure constantly. She wanted nothing more than a family that was of one heart and one mind, and able to come together for love and support. All the while I would watch and cry and hope for anger and unhappiness to flee from the thoughts of my family members.

As time passes, old discrepancies fade and feelings of love are reborn. My mother and father are still not speaking but my brother has developed a strong relationship with my mother again. After having lived through such turmoil and separation among family members, I have made a promise to myself to create a happy and unified environment for my family and those around me.

I want to strive to be a better example to others and live the gospel the way I should and share it with others. I want to live with a wife and strong family for eternity in my future and there is only one way to accomplish that goal. We all need to be servants of the Lord and generate feelings of love. The spirit can always help us. All we need to do is listen.