Magnet of Belief

John - Yarmouthport, Massachusetts

I wonder why certain circumstances arise in my life and what they try to teach me. Situations pop up, that shake me to the core. A movie called “the Secret” came out that got me thinking deeply about my life’s experiences, and how my mind is like a magnet drawing situations my way in accordance to the thoughts I hold.

I got my start in the world thinking I wasn’t as good as some. These thoughts stirred in me a rebelliousness and disbelief in my ability to succeed. I equated an individual’s ability to succeed with their access to wealth. I dated some young ladies from affluent backgrounds, and their parents weren’t accepting of me. This harmed my outlook, as I felt alienated by their families because of my class. For the girls’ parents it always seemed to be about what my parents did. Once they learned my parents weren’t business professionals or owners, and that they hadn’t graduated from college, I was dead in the water with them, as well as with girls.

The low self worth I carried caused me to remain closed to the world around me and in return the world closed to me. I remember many occasions where I walked around with a tough face and demeanor wondering why no one was talking to me. I realize it was the posture and not me turning people off, and that my rigidity was the direct result of my mind’s rigidity.

A hard kid to reach, I was told by teachers that I had a great potential that I wasn’t living up to. Disbelief in myself never allowed me to develop to my fullest capability. I never tried too hard because I always thought I’d fail. This became a self fulfilling prophecy.

When I saw the movie, “The Secret” my view changed drastically. The movie described the mind as a magnet that draws situations into my life that coincided with my dominant thoughts. The thoughts in my mind were negative and so much of my life experiences followed suit. The film said that if I learned to manage my thoughts, I would in turn manage the experiences of my life. I found holding images in my mind of the goals and/or the things I wanted, brought people, experiences, and situations to make them a reality. I stopped wanting a job deciding I would have one instead. I closed my eyes and pictured how I would feel with the job and abracadabra within a week multiple jobs were offered. I did the same with transportation and within a month two vehicles. I decided I’d go back to school and succeed, and have since joined the national honor society, and have been asked to speak at events and attend out of state conferences. Things I only thought happened to special people happened to me.

I believe all people are special and that special things happen to people who pay special attention to their thoughts. As my thoughts stay great and I strive for greatness, great people and things emerge in my life.