What Makes Me

Rachel - Rexburg, Idaho

I believe in humor. I think everybody believes in humor, but for me it is a way of life, and I can’t go through a day without it. It is a way of communicating with people. Even when I have nothing in common with a person, I can still share a moment with them simply by sharing my sense of humor. I believe that a deep appreciation of humor is usually inherited from parents with a similar appreciation, and I know that my parents played a role in the development of my humor. It’s a good thing for them because humor helps me deal with some of their more embarrassing tendencies.

Through humor I can take a serious situation, and turn it around so that it is not a big deal. I try not to take life too seriously and find myself constantly laughing at my situation. I once took a math exam that I studied several hours each day for and failed. This can be seen as a negative thing, but I saw the humor in it and was able to make fun of myself. I knew that I would do better next time, but for the moment I could laugh. This allows me to cope with everything life throws at me and also draws positive people to me. Recently I was house sitting for a family, who wanted me to stay at their house while they were gone and take care of their dog, Coco. They warned me to lock all the doors at night because there had been some robberies in the area. I made my sister come with me because I did not want to sleep there all by myself. One night after we had fallen asleep, the small dog started frantically barking. I went downstairs to see what she was barking at, and found the back door unlocked. My first thought was that someone had broken in and was hiding somewhere in one of the many rooms of the huge house, so I ran upstairs back to my sister. Anxiously I considered calling the police but then wondered what I would tell them, and began to calm down. “There may or may not be someone in our house… the dog barked, and we’re scared… can you come check on us?” Looking back now I can see I probably should have taken this a little more seriously, but I couldn’t help and think how funny it was that we had locked ourselves in a room waiting for a friend to come check all the rooms for an “intruder” that might not even exist.

In the end there was no intruder but it showed me that my humor could help me get thorough anything, even a potential house burglary. Humor helps me deal with tense situations. It helps me to be happy, and in turn makes other people happy. Humor is part of who I am.