Adjusting my Swing

Nicholas - Rexburg, Idaho
Themes: sports

I believe in golf.

My love for golf first developed when I was 12 years old. At that time I struggled with height issues, averaging 6 inches shorter than the normal height of the girls in my grade. I had several problems trying to compete in the sports I loved. No matter how good I was at basketball, the other boys always seemed to out jump and out run me. I thought I would have to end my pursuit in sports as I began to grow older.

I believe golf can help to overcome personal and physical problems. Through golf, I conquered the difficulties I had with my physical stature. I learned how to manipulate the way I played that wouldn’t affect how tall, or how strong I was. Every day I would train at my short game in golf. It wasn’t necessary for me to hit the ball far. By good ball placement and hitting it close to the flag, I could shoot as well as the big opponents I faced.

Although technique and skill are involved during a round of golf, much of how well you do is determined mentally. Once I started playing poorly, the only way I could change my game was to change my mind. By thinking positive and focusing, I figured out how to play well again. It basically came down to me. If I wasn’t playing my top game, it was my fault. I could either decide to play well, or continue in my bad routine. Golf taught me how to defeat the obstacle of my mind. I figured out how to harness that power to my advantage.

Through golf I realized the importance of being true to yourself and others. During most sports, people watch and keep score, but golf involves you doing this process. Sometimes I would have the urge to cut off a few strokes and give myself a better score.

“Just don’t count that last bad shot,” I would think to myself while tallying up my score for that hole.

Since I wasn’t very good at golf when I first began to play, it was easier to trick myself into cheating. As my scores started getting better due to dishonest score keeping, my father became more and more impressed with me. It wasn’t until we played together that I discovered why cheating wasn’t helping me.

“I thought you could play better than this,” my father told me while we played together. He soon found out I wasn’t playing fair with myself. I decided from that point on to keep a fair score every time I played golf. A wonderful life lesson learned on honesty.

Through such a simple sport, not only did I learn much about myself, but much about life and how to surmount the obstacles it brings. Instead of stressing over problems both physical and mental, I am able to enjoy a good round of golf.