Oh, So This Is Love?

RONISHA - PORTLAND, Oregon
Themes: birth

Oh, So This Is Love?

I know this is going to sound so cliché but I truly do believe in love at first sight. The moment I saw him I knew I was in love. That little body, so new to the world, brought the biggest smile across my face. You would have sworn I broken a blood vessel in my neck for using every single muscle in my face to show you my joy. What a joy that was to be the first individual you seen when you opened up those gigantic, beautiful grey eyes you had, the same iris color as I do. So many things I want to show you, So many things that I want you to see. The more and more we stared at each other, the less I thought about the pain it effort it took to get you here. Thank goodness for epidurals and your father’s hand.

I must admit, that moment was one of the most precious things a woman could ever experience. I was beyond proud that you would one day call me “mommy”. I am overly confident that your first word will me just that. After all, I did carry you for 40 weeks, 3 days, 16 hours, 27 minutes and some odd number of seconds. If it isn’t then we’re going to have a chat about that when you’re old enough to comprehend. Your dad totally agrees with me on this too! Now that I am experiencing this long awaited moment, I’m starting to see just how amazing this bond between the two of us will be.

The future is long ahead of us but I can’t help but to imagine about your forthcoming first moments. I wonder who you will favor when you begin to smile. How long it will take before you take your first step or how I will feel when receive your first scrape on the knee from a fall. Oh how blessed I feel that moment that I wish I could freeze it in time.

Hearing the slight quiver in your high pitched scream, only reminds me of the sleepless nights I will face when we bring you home. This only made me bawl out crying myself. Not tears of sadness, but those wonderful tears of elation you get during times like this and from reading sappy romance novels. Your little hand grasps onto my finger and let me know that I wasn’t dreaming. I look over at daddy, who is nursing his eye with an ice pack; I swear I didn’t mean to punch him that hard. Oh well, he’ll live. That just shows the beginning stages of this long, slobber soaked journey that we all call parenthood.