I believe in hard work in the Family

Meaghan - Worcester, Massachusetts
Themes: family, work

I Believe…

I believe in hard work in the family. I grew up on Blue Berry Farm. It’s a 5-acre farm with lots to do. I was never bored at home because of this. I had to cut down trees with my dad, split it, then stack it. In the dead of winter, snow up to the sky, I had to lug in the wood, load after load. It kept my home warm, but it sure was not fun. But that’s only the beginning of living on a farm. Although we did not have farm animals there was still a lot of maintaining to accomplish.

Ever since I was 8 years old, I have been on the back end of a mower. Luckily, for mowing the 5 acres, we had a mowing tractor, and although it took 5 hours to mow, it was a blessing. I did not want to use a little hand push mower. That would have been torturous and very cruel. If there ever was a spot that was not mowed I would have to go over it again and again until it was to my dads’ liking.

I am the youngest of 8 children, and as the years progressed on my dad, he has worked me least, but it is still a lot of work. My older brothers and sisters appreciate the times they went through working because now they are all older and know how to work and the get the job done.

The hardest part of working on a farm was getting along with my dad. My dad is someone who never stops working, and I like a break once in a while. It must have been his calling from God because he is the only person I have ever seen work so hard and so long, and most of this work he does is service. He is 67 years old, and he feels like he is 40 again. This summer he received a medal from the President of The United States for service. The Bishop, from each ward, is allowed to give one of these awards out during their time as Bishop. To receive this award, one had to do a minimum of 4,000 hours of community service, and believe me, he has done plenty more. He became very emotional when he received this award because he felt he did not deserve this, but he accepted it.

I, one day, want to be just like my dad. He is the hardest worker I and many people have ever seen. When he wants something, he doesn’t stop working until he can get it himself. That is how I am. I feel it to be a blessing to work for what I want because then I feel more satisfied in the end knowing, “I did it all by myself,” and that is the most gratifying feeling in the world.