Believing in Youself

Jordan - Yuba City, California

Believing in Yourself

I believe in self-confidence.

I believe the bases of all success in life comes through the personal trait of self-confidence. To overcome our fears in life one needs to believe in yourself, so that you will be able to accomplish the task in front of us. When this trait is not apparent in our personality one misses out on life experiences through fear. As the musical artist, Jonathon Rhys Meyers, once said in a lyric, “I’ve been sitting watching life pass from the sidelines.”

At age 12, I was adopted into the Young Men’s program in my church and I was eligible to be a youth speaker in sacrament meeting. Since then I have given multiple talks, conducted meetings, and given announcements in church. I was shy at that age and it was a major fear of mine to stand in front of large groups. Having self-confidence, I was able to overcome my fear of public speaking and able to enjoy sharing what I knew with my peers.

A more recent experience that has strengthened my belief in self-confidence was giving the closing prayer at my grandfather’s funeral. I was informed of this on my way to the ceremony, I was terrified. Though I have given thousands of prayers in my life, I had never given one at a funeral. I was so nervous that my hands began to shake and my heart was beating a thousand times a minute. I was continually bouncing my leg up and down. Towards the conclusion of the ceremony all the grandkids went up on the stage and sang, “Families Can Be Together Forever.” I was singing I glanced down at my parents, I saw that my father was crying. When my father begins to cry it always gets to me and I start to cry as well. I only had a few moments until I was about to stand in front of hundreds of people to give me closing prayer. There I was, all choked up, red in the face, and tear lines down my cheeks. I was sitting in the chair thinking and telling myself that I could do this. I know what I’m talking about, he’s my grandfather, and there people are my family. I was finally calm as I began to walk to the pulpit.

After my closing prayer I began to walk down the aisles to see my family and friends. So many people as I walked by told me what a great job I did, and said that it was beautiful. One right after another, people complimented me on the words of my prayer.

This recent event was a great strength in my belief in self-confidence. I now know without a doubt that with self-confidence you can achieve anything your heart desires. Never let yourself feel insignificant to the world, everyone is important in this great plan and everyone has meaning. Don’t watch life pass from the sidelines, be in the great game of life.