What it Means to Smile

Sarah - El Paso, Texas

I believe that everyone should smile. The simple gesture of a smile can always make a persons day. I believe when I constantly smile it makes me feel better and makes me feel more myself. I think that smiling can always improve my mood even when I am down. When someone asks me to smile when I’m sad, this makes things so much better in any situation I come to encounter. Smiling is a sign of confidence and has many meanings behind it.

I work at a swimming pool as a lifeguard and last winter a man came into my work to look around the pool. This man was different than the usual people that would walk in and out of our facility he was older, around his fifties; he was dressed in mostly black, had long shaggy hair and had a beard and mustache. That day I was feeling sad and had a lot on my mind. I remember it felt like nothing was going the way I wanted.

As I continued to watch the swimmers I noticed the man sitting there watching them as well. I had a frown on my face and I didn’t look happy at all, it was obvious I wasn’t having a good day. After sitting there for twenty minutes the man came up and approached me. He told me that I looked as if something was bothering me and I should always smile and show that I am happy because everything will be fine. What made me always remember this man was that the last thing he said to me was he was an angel and God never wants to see me sad. He then went and walked back to the bleachers and sat down and continued watching the swimmers. I went to the restroom thinking how weird this man was and about what he said to me, but when I came back out he had already left.

I believe in always smiling because to me it makes me realize that life is too short to be sad or mad. To me a smile can have more than one meaning, from a greeting, from laughing, even if there is no reason to it. Smiling makes me think everything is ok in my life. I have learned that people notice if a smile is present or not and I think that each of my smiles tells a lot about me. I smile when I am happy about something, when I love someone, when I get shy, when I’m uncomfortable, and when I’m being friendly. I believe that people should always smile it makes me who I am and makes my life a lot brighter.