I Believe in Responsibility

Kyle - Sugar City, Idaho

I believe in being responsible. I believe in the way it makes me feel to be depended upon, to fulfill the duties that I have promised to do to my classmates, coworkers, and teammates. I will do what I have been told to do, when I’m told to do it, and in the way I’m supposed to do it.

In football I will do what I am told and get along with people when I do the task at hand. I will be that blocker that the running back needs, the one he can depend on to get him down the field. I’ll be the one watching over his back making sure that he doesn’t get sent to the hospital. One time I was running the ball, and someone didn’t block for me and I got pulverized. The headache soon after was so bad that I wish my blocker would have done what he should have done, block. I started wondering how often I fulfill my responsibility. So since then I realized how important it is to do what I promised to do. I believe in doing what the coaches ask me to do to ensure that the play gets carried out correctly so that we can move the ball as far as we can down the field in safety.

I believe in accomplishing the things that I told my classmates I would do. I will finish my part of this project. I will make the necessary calls. I will do my part in getting a good grade. They have hopes that I will finish what I told them I would do, because that is what a responsible person does. Responsible people can be relied upon without people having to worry that they will bail out, or not finish their work. If I were to not do what I was supposed to do, I would not let only myself down, but the other person that was depending on me.

At the workplace I do the responsibilities that have been assigned to me. The manager knows that I will do what I am told because that is what I am supposed to do. It is what has been asked of me. It’s the reason I got a job there. Whether it is from getting down and scrubbing dirty toilets to even flipping burgers for hours on end over a hot grill, I will do it because I have a responsibility, and it is what I told the boss I would do.

To be responsible is to answer or be accountable, as for something within one’s power. In other words, I am accountable for the things that I have said I will do. I am accountable for my own responsibility. I determine how much I can be depended on, or how responsible I am, but everybody could depend on me. I believe in being responsible.