Where I Can Find Myself

Jessica - El Paso, Texas
Themes: family, place

Whether it’s just for a cup of hot chocolate on a cold night or to cook tamales for Christmas, the kitchen is the meeting point in the house. I believe that the kitchen has the power to bring people together and a challenge us to be closer with ourselves. In the kitchen there is always a great smell, either of food being cooked, cookies or just a very fresh clean scent.

My family is pretty big and we aren’t always close by. My grandma’s house is the meeting point for the family, but not as much as the kitchen. It’s not only my grandma’s kitchen but any kitchen. The kitchen is where most of my memories come to life. I remember when my cousin and I tried to cook and we only made things worse and we almost burned the house. When I was younger I was taught to cook so whenever I needed, I could make myself eggs, chicken or rice. I have good and not so good memories. I have made great meals and desserts for my family. I have burned myself because of being careless and making a mess with my cousin. The kitchen has been my confident in anything I do. When I have problems I start to bake, when I’m happy I cook a meal for me and my sister. In everything I do I put all my emotions and feelings, for this it has been as my confident.

The kitchen has taught me to have discipline in what I do. The kitchen must be clean and have a good presentation such as food, so it made me be more organized in what I need to do first, and right away put away what I don’t need anymore. Being organized was hard for me to adapt, because I like to have everything around in case I need it again. Now I’m very organized and can’t stand if things are messy or things aren’t in place. The kitchen has also taught me to be part of a team. When I’m in the kitchen it’s not only me, but my family as well, so I have to cooperate with what they are doing and the other way around.

When I go into the kitchen, there is some type of relief and freedom that makes me relax and be open about everything. I love to be in the kitchen because there is always something going on. There are so many things that can be done in a kitchen besides cooking such as makeovers, drawing, playing, and even watching T.V., and my of course family talking. There is always someone there to talk to. It was just a few weeks ago when I realized how much the kitchen has helped me in everyway. When I had a very huge fight with my best friend I was in the kitchen talking to my family about it, and they helped me. A few days later I went to my friend’s house to talk about everything, it was a surprise that she was in the kitchen. While talking about everything we started to make, bake and decorate a cake. Together we made the cake and helped us to solve the problem. I believe that it’s the process that matters and not much of the outcome. Every process is different, different ingredients, different people and different environment, by which things get done better and more enjoyable.

I believe in my grandma’s kitchen. I believe that it’s not the food that brings us together, but the desire of it. I’m not always cooking when I’m in the kitchen, but mostly talking to my family. When my grandma and I start to cook, everyone comes to the kitchen to see what we are going to eat, and everyone helps so things get done faster. Cooking has been a way of uniting me with my family, and friends. In cooking I find myself doing what I love and can enjoy.

I believe in the kitchen because there isn’t anything that the kitchen can’t solve. The kitchen has been an important place for me, because is where I have grown up. The kitchen it isn’t a place where you just make food or take it to eat it, but a place to unite to people. The kitchen is a setting that challenges you to know yourself more, as it has challenged me.