The Power of Advice

Kelli - Rexburg, Idaho

I believe in giving advice.

In May of 2006 I went to Missouri to visit my broken-up family. My uncle had just recently had an affair, which had torn all of our hearts in two.

Late one night as most of us were sitting around talking, a fight broke out which caused everyone to scatter to different places around the house. I stayed in my grandmothers living room and started crying about all the hurt and pain my uncle had caused our family. As I was sitting there, my grandma (who was in the same room with me) turned to me and said, “Kelli, you have to love him for who he is.”

That was the last advice she gave me before she died.

After I graduated high school in 2007, I was on the verge of going to hair school but college still lingered in the back of my mind. As neighbors, friends, family, customers at work, and teachers asked me what I was going to do with my life my answer was always “I’m going to hair school!” but of course the inevitable question always came up: “What about college?” I remember one day getting asked that question by Lorene, a neighbor of mine. I decided to confide in her and told her that I didn’t think I was smart enough for college. She didn’t care what I thought about myself, she just said “go to college.” And now, here I am enrolled as a student of Brigham Young University-Idaho, loving every minute of it.

Last semester I took a world religion class. My teacher, Mr. Purse, told us that we should be very open-minded towards people that have different beliefs than ours.

Not long after he said that, a new girl was hired to work where I work. It just so happens that she believes in astrology. She also believes that I have small hands because I was born in February. We disagree about almost every major political and religious issue there is, but since I kept my teachers advice to be open-minded, Jeanie and I are now really good friends and frequently go to Dairy Queen to get blizzards and talk.

Advice has taught me how to love people for who they are, gain more self-confidence in my abilities, and acquire a relationship with a person I never thought I would befriend. So, in the end I believe in giving advice because the advice I’ve received has changed my life for the better.