When Everything Goes Wrong

Brooke - Greeley, Colorado
Themes: courage, hope

I believe that no matter how wrong things seem, there is always something right. That the world will always give us a sign of hope, and that even in the darkest of nights, there will always be a little shimmer of light.

Several months ago, I was being faced with numerous difficulties. For example, my old nanny (to whom I had grown quite attached to) had just recently found out that the twins growing inside her swelling belly had a condition called twin-to-twin transfusion, which would ultimately result in the loss of both babies. One of our families extremely close friends had been paralyzed below the waist for many years, and I had just received a phone call saying that he had been caught in a head-on collision between a large truck and his van. A boy I had known for about ten years had just received a threatening letter from a boy attending his school. It stated that that day would be his last day to live, and that before the bomb that was apparently planted in the school went off, he would be shot personally. Not to mention the fact that our family expenses were becoming more of an issue with each passing day, and that we didn’t know how we were going to meet our expectations in the near future.

My friend Clare and I were standing in the abandoned courtyard of the school that day, crying into each others arms. We had been standing there for over an hour, and as my head rested on Clare’s shoulder, I saw the sky, growing more colorful and magnificent with each passing minute. “It’s beautiful.” I whispered to myself and looked in awe at the glory of the sky surrounding us.

Clare looked into the sky and sighed a heavy, burdened sigh. As she caught glimpse of what had taken my attention, she gasped. “It’s absolutely magical,” she whispered to no one in particular.

“Yes,” I replied, “It doesn’t even seem possible…” When she asked me what I meant, a sense of wonder and awe over-whelmed me, and I had one of the few epiphanies of my life. “Even when everything seems to be going wrong, the world still knows that hope isn’t completely gone. Even tonight, it puts up beautiful paintings in the sky to give us a sign that everything will be okay.”

Several weeks later, I was browsing a book called ABARAT for a class assignment when I found a small poem. It simply stated, “Life is short, and pleasures few; and holed the ship, and drowned the crew. But oh! But oh! How very blue the sea is.” I had to read the poem several times before the moral became clear, but once it had made its appearance, it changed my understanding and views of the world.

No matter how horrible everything seems, no matter how much hope I have left or how long it takes me to find the strength to put on a fake smile, there will always be a sign somewhere to show me that things will be okay. I believe that even when everything seems as if it will go wrong, there is always something that is right. That at the worst moment in my life, there is always a beautiful sunset or a glistening blue sea to show me that things aren’t as bad as they seem. The world will not stop turning just because I am having a bad day or week or maybe even year. But it isn’t leave me stranded. It will always give something to bring me hope. Nothing is ever as bad as it seems, so long as you take the time to look around and see the beauty of our world, and take it one step at a time.