this i believe

Kaesi - Greeeley, Colorado

We as a people use one word, one stereotype way too much. We define everything as “normal” until proven otherwise, and we use this way too much. The main thing that I have trouble understanding is that the people in my life and the people who influence my life a great deal believe that they can “define normal”, some of there responses don’t make sense to me. My grandmother says, “Normal is having two and a half brothers and two and a half sisters, and everything else isn’t normal.” Sure I guess that makes everyone feel better in a way but, as you can see, her numbers are a little out of date, regardless, she still thinks it’s funny. My mother, on the other hand, refers to The Stepford Wives as a reference to what normal but then she says that the movie is really weird, so now I’m officially confused I am not entirely sure if she is trying to say that the movie is just weird or if that is the point and she is trying to say that being normal is weird. I find this particular movie to be … “odd” interpretation of what Hollywood finds should be normal however, who am I to be defining what is “odd.”

In the American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language it refers to normal as a “set standard”. What is that supposed to mean? Is the dictionary saying that whatever you bay be trying to define as “normal” is normal if they are the complete standard of every single tiny variable that it comes across? That would be nearly impossible to do. If you were trying to say that someone, and maybe even yourself was “normal” you would have to conceder an incredible amount of variables. What is your height, weight, shin tone? Would those be determined on an average that was measured scientifically somehow, or would they be determined on the average population’s “set standard.” In the end everything usually comes down to religion so, what’s your religion, would you have a religion? What other things could you determine? The possibilities are endless.