Erica - Greeley, Colorado

In my opinion, life just isn’t good without friends.

Before my fourth grade year, I had no friends that I could actually recall by name. I was usually left out of group things, but if I was in a group no one enjoyed it (especially me) because nobody really liked me. I usually kept to myself and was left alone; as long as nobody bothered me…I didn’t bother them.

I hadn’t gained my first friend until later in my fourth grade year. I was just sitting by myself on the swings when he came up to and asked if he could join me on the swings. I said that he could and I realized then that I had just made my first friend, but I wondered how long this friendship would last. It turns out that it lasted quite a long while.

But he wasn’t the only friend that I was to earn. A few years later, in sixth grade, I had gained the trusting friendship of another person. I had met her in my fifth block reading class. I had asked her if she would like to do a fundraiser project with me because nobody else wanted to. She had asked me what I had had in mind; I explained to her how I thought that we could write a letter to the manager of Wal-Mart asking if we could solicit for Hoops for Heart in front of his store. When we found out that we could, my mom picked her up at her apartment and took us over to Wal-Mart. After we finished the project we went back to my house, counted the money, and split the profits into two. We went to school the next day and gave the money that we had gathered to our teacher and finished the day.

At the end of the week, she invited me over to her place for a sleepover. After that day on, I helped her with the things that she needed help and she helped me with what I needed help and. Yeah, we argued a few times, but our arguments never lasted more than half a day. This time I was pretty convinced that she was someone who would be a life-long friend and to this day, for I’m only an eighth grader, she is still my friend.

Before I had my first true friend, I was lonely and secluded from everybody. Before my friends, I didn’t truly understand how important a friend really was. I found out that I didn’t truly enjoy my life until after my first friend.

After my fourth grade year, things started to incline socially for me and I ended up gaining more friends as the years passed. From the day that I truly gained my first friend, I have not been as lonely or secluded as I once was. I still have those friends today and even though they do not go to my present school, I still find time to hang out with them and we stick together as one.

So, everyone needs at least one friend, this I believe.