Not skin deep

Rachel - Greeley, Colorado

I believe that everybody is beautiful. Everyone, no matter how many pimples they have or how their hair is so last year, is fantastically beautiful in their own special way. This is a very hard concept to understand. Some people do not normally strike me as attractive. But think of it this way: Every face on this earth was carefully sculpted, in exactly the way God wanted for you. Every person was designed in the way that He specifically planned out. Even if you don’t believe in a God, you have to admit that you were born with a very specific face, and who says that face isn’t beautiful? Why then are some people considered gorgeous, while others told they need to change their appearance?

Being a high school girl, I am faced with many insecurities. Every teenage girl since the invention of the high school goes through these, no matter how hard they try to pretend they don’t. Yes, I do worry about my looks. It’s one of my worst characteristics. The world seems to have created the image of what a girl should look like. According to the fashion magazines and, of course, the unwritten teen policies, we should be thin, medium height, with soft, straightened hair and nothing but the trendiest of clothes. We’re expected to have perfect skin and perfect teeth. They say our makeup should be flawless and heavy around the eyes, and, while they’re at in, why not through in that you have to walk with the air of a supermodel. Well, I hate to break it to the world, but hardly any girl is a supermodel. We do break out in acne and sometimes, *gasp* the trendy clothes just aren’t our style. Every once in a while, you get the girl that doesn‘t let this affect her on the outside. But the shocking majority think that looks matter. Why does it have to be that way? Why can’t we just accept ourselves as who we are?

I believe that you can make your own definition of beauty. I believe you don’t have to look like you just walked off a runway to be pretty. I believe that beauty isn’t even skin deep. Everyone is beautiful, male or female, under or overweight, tall or short, greasy clumps of hair or picturesque curls. Its really important that, as a world, we understand that you can be pretty no matter what you look like.