The Individual

Rachel - Greeley, Colorado

It’s a simple word filling merely a single line of this page yet some how something about it is so much more.

From the time we are very young parents and teachers constantly placate us with little sayings that are supposed to shape our futures and mold our minds. And today one still rings in my mind which seems to have fallen in the back shadows of importance.

“Just be yourself.”

Something happens at an earlier state that changes us. At one moment we are listening to the ‘grown ups’ sing from the sidelines, willing us to be ourselves and think outside of the box. But then we mature into young adults and we loose a piece of our will. It’s like we are so afraid that someone will peel back the thin masks we wear and find that we are not what the world wants but some sort of independent being.

Scary…

You pick you friends because they are the ones who will make you look good, you wear what other’s do because you’re afraid they might judge you, you say things that are polite and politically correct fro the sanity of others.

We are what other people want us to be.

I am not yet an adult but I can even see that graduating into adulthood in the modern society means I must strive for the ‘American Dream’. It involves me marrying off to some guy, rearing a few children, and working all day to keeps a ‘proper’ house running.

In that situation if someone were to ask me what I am I’d say something along the lines of “House Wife, Mother, Insert monotonous word here…” None of those titles include my name or how I feel. A house wife is more then just that. The words don’t include what she day dreams about as she mops mud off of the kitchen floor. The word ‘mother’ doesn’t include the pride she felt when her children went to their first day of school. Any title can only go so far as to explain who we truly are.

I don’t want my life to be summed up in a simple word handed to me by someone else. I want my life to amount to something more then a name on a clipboard. I want to be known for what I believe.

And what I do believe in is being able to embrace uniqueness and special-ness… (Ugh! Is ‘special-ness’ a word?)… in yourself and other people.

The day I meet my maker I’m sure that He would ask me a simple question… “In you’re life, who were you?”

I want to be able to smile back and say “I was who you made me to be, I was an individual.”