I believe in walking

Kelbe - wichita, Kansas

Before my junior year in high school, my parents either drove me to school or to the bus stop, but then I started walking to my bus stop and back every day. It isn’t a very long distance, about five minutes from one end to the other, but walking to the bus stop makes a substantial difference in my life. At first I was annoyed that I had to get up earlier and face the elements, but now walking outside for a few minutes each day is almost therapeutic. While I am walking outside, I am alone. It is quiet, and no tries to bother me. I can choose to let my mind wander or just tune out and listen to music. I recently realized how used I am to walking to the bus stop when I was annoyed that one of my parents wanted to give me a ride. Ironic huh?

When I am walking to the bus stop, no matter what the whether, I just have to keep putting one foot in front of the other to reach my destination. It is up to me to get to the stop on time, to turn my homework in, and to study for tests. I think I am beginning to learn responsibility.

Since I began walking to the bus stop, I have gained more control over myself and my surroundings. I am doing better on tests in my most difficult classes, and have even become a little bit less of a recluse. Although I am a teenager and still make mistakes, I know that all I have to do is keep putting one foot in front of the other.