In Someone’s Eyes

Alexis - Cornelius, Oregon

We’ve all been judged in some way or another whether we know it or not. I personally believe no one deserves to be judged based on skin color, body type, or the way they dress.

Everyone these days are categorizing people by the way they look or based on the people they hang out with. Categories play a major part in how the schools are being divided. This could make kids feel uncomfortable or make them not want to attend school because of the way people look at them or act towards them.

I’ve been called fat by some, then called skinny by others. I’ve been labeled as rude and stuck up because I’m white. People don’t understand how much it hurts to be called things like that. I don’t have a high self-esteem and I’m not comfortable with my appearance no matter how many times people call me skinny, pretty, and nice. I get compliments however I don’t believe them because of the other things I’ve been called. I have become stronger due to the fact that I have had to build self-esteem and tell myself I am not fat or ugly. A saying that helps me relate to the way I’m feeling and helps me realize that nobody’s perfect is, “It’s not who you are that holds you back, but it’s who you think you’re not.”

Most people don’t intentionally make fun of others; sometimes a small comment like “what is she wearing?” could start a lot of put downs about that person. Even though that person will most likely never know you said anything, how are you feeling about saying it? I know that if I knew someone was talking about me I would start to question my appearance and myself and that’s not good for anyone. Some people could go into a stage of depression because of the criticisms and that’s not healthy for anyone.

I was once in a situation where I was at a football game and my friends and I mentioned that one of the cheerleaders weren’t good enough to be cheering and her mother was sitting right behind us. I will never forget the look I received from her; that look changed me. I didn’t really think anything of it at first until I saw the way she was acting after we mentioned something. It was a sad, mad, and disappointed look all at the same time. It hurt me to see her hurt and know I was the one that did that to her. I learned at that moment it’s not right to judge people because everyone is just trying to get through life and life shouldn’t be based on what people look like and who they hang out with but rather who they are underneath. Everyone is equal in a way and I think it’s about time people realized that and treat everyone equally.