ET Phone Home

Heather - Willisburg, Kentucky

Attempting to explain your beliefs to someone is like trying to inform a 4-year-old child that Santa doesn’t exist: it is very difficult to confront at first; then as time goes on, reality sinks in. A person forms a belief system early on in life. You believe and acknowledge the woman who feeds and clothes you as a baby as your mother, you believe the words that come out of your elders mouth are what you should reiterate, you believe being grown up is the best thing in the world, and slowly you believe with all your heart that life is too short and you didn’t have enough time to grow in your beliefs.

But what are beliefs? In all actuality, your beliefs are what define you as an individual. Individuality is what sets you apart from everyone else. It is my belief that one should try and stand out of a crowd. To be different is to be unique. Uniqueness sets you apart from other people; whether being unique alienates you or not. Sometimes people who have a loving and devoted family are alienated by people who are jealous; lots of time people who are Christians are alienated as well. I’m proud to say that I have both a loving and devoted family who are devout Christians. Would it make me strange to say I believe in alienation?

Growing up in a world where people conform to others ideals of right and wrong is difficult. Standing out in a crowd can be a daunting task; all people want that accepted feeling of love and approval. I do find myself wanting to fit in with the ways of the world, never to attain that attention that I so desperately desire. This is when I look to my family and faith for guidance in these arduous situations.

Always wanting the shiny new toy as a child, I find myself still staring, with longing, puppy-dog eyes through the windows of the mall at Christmastime. When people think I’m casually sauntering around campus, I’m really shopping; my brain slowly calculating every item that I undoubtedly need. Confronting my mother with this list is a different story. The answer is always, “Why do you need this when everyone else has one?” My uncles are always teasing, questioning me about the latest college trends. Any new thing I wear is carefully scrutinized and for good reason. I realize I don’t need all of these items. I can’t take them with me when I die, so what’s the point?

Coveting things all of your life is going to lead you down a deep, dark path of disappointment. All materialistic wants eventually subside when you realize they are no longer important. Attaining what everyone else has is not living. Eventually all people will see this. Real wants and needs should be friends, family, and faith: these three f’s should define a person’s life. Who would want to be like everyone else, when you could be an alien?