i believe in belief

brianna - rochester, Minnesota

By: Brianna Knudson

I believe in belief. In the past a strong belief is what has turned ordinary people into men and women that now infuse our history books with action, drama, and tragedy.

Belief makes leaders. Good and bad. Hitler believed in filling the world with the perfect race of man. Martin Luther King Jr. believed in a dream. Rosa Parks believed she shouldn’t have had to give up her seat on a bus. Napoleon believed he should’ve conquered the world. Jesus believed in love. The list goes on. A strong belief in something is what sets others apart from the crowd.

Everybody believes in something whether it is as simple as believing that air is going to be around you so when you breathe in– air will fill your lungs so life can continue. It could be something as complicated as belief in molecular science and how it works or strong belief in a religion.

Some people are convicted in what they believe in all their lives and some spend their lives searching for what they believe or something or someone to believe in.

I have many personal beliefs but there is one that I have learned to hold tight to throughout my life and that is my belief in God. Believing in God has made me a stronger, happier, and a better person. I think that having something to believe in is what gives others and myself something to look towards for encouragement.

Belief is a strong cornerstone in anyone’s life. A single belief has the ability to mold and shape a person into someone that others might look to for advice or someone to fear. Needless to say beliefs can go either way and there is no limit as far as what people will do for them.

In Christ’s time people were willing to die for their belief in a man who was said to be sent from Heaven to save mankind. These martyrs set the catalyst for extreme belief in those days and they were willing to go as far as death because they believed so strongly.

One person in my life that I look up to is my grandmother. She has had many hardships in her life that most people would not have the courage to face head on but she believes in God and that he has a plan for her. To her everything happens for a reason even if that reason is not understood at first. She has taught me that belief is something that can never be taken from you unlike money, cars, and fame.

At the end of the day, belief in something is what gets us all through everyday. One thing that every person on Earth has is common is that we all have bad days but we all know and believe that the bad day is going to end and a new day will begin full of opportunity.

I believe in belief.